The day dawned bright and there was more to see in Millthorpe - a perfect place to stroll around to see the beautiful shop fronts and pressed metal and finish at the Old Mill for a flat white and a very large raspberry and almond muffin.
I took the road out to Byng with its classic country church of 1872 and cemetery across the road, remnants of the inhabitants remaining in short inscription.
Thinking I was taking the road to Orange, I eventually realised I was heading off road towards the Ophir Reserve - the 'site that changed the course of history in Australia.' It is the place where the first payable gold was found and the oldest continually worked goldfield dating back to 1851. Since it's last works in the 1990s it has now become a beautiful picnic and camping spot.
The night was spent at Lolli Redini, where a solo place was found for me at the kitchen hatch and I got to see all the workings of the place. I had two wait staff who kept all my needs fulfilled. I was presented with marinated olives while I perused the menu and partook of some local white , Orange Mountain sauvingnon blanc. Twice baked gruyere souflee was followed by tagliatelli, zucchini flower, asparagus and heirloom tomatoes, washed down by a glass of arneis from Victoria. I finished with a delectable dessert od nougat, sour cherry, pistachio honeycomb parfait topped with rhubarb gelato, baked rhubarb and sprinkled with rose petals - heaven!
Then back to the ranch for a cup of heaven and earth. The reused sorting table was set for breakfast. To the left were the doors into what was the first electrified shearing shed. The cypress pine floor is patched with lanolin stains








No comments:
Post a Comment